Thursday 26 July 2012

You can dance!

On the cultural front, I wanted to share with you a bit of the music, especially the dances ... I've included a clip from a concert and another of a traditional dance during the children's day festivities ... take a look:


It is quite amazing to see people dance: so happy, so relaxed, so into it! The music definitely drives you. I've already started to learn pieces of mozambican rhythms on the djembe. Several weeks ago, ok ... more than a month ago, we were at a going away party for a dear friend and I ended jamming with a few musicians ... more of me learning their rhythms and styles. Due to the form of the arabic tabla and the normal way of holding it, one uses more their fingers and almost always one hand is dominant as it sits across your lap. With the djembe secured between your knees you don't have the same restrictions, therefore you could do some crazy rhythms! I definitely need more practice, but what usually happens is that you struggle for a few attempts and then you flow with it, especially when you're drumming with others.




No comments:

Post a Comment